TSMC Solar – best-in-class production of groundbreaking products
Our factory, TSMC Solar S-Fab
TSMC Solar CIGS modules in the TS Series are produced at our highly automated solar fab located in Taichung, Taiwan.
We handle every step of transforming raw materials into finished CIGS modules in our state-of-the-art, 6 story, 700,000 square foot LEED certifiable facility. That means start-to-finish optimization of the manufacturing process for productivity, performance and quality.
The first phase of the S-fab building and facilities were completed in late 2011, along with initial 40 megawatt (MW) tool move-in, enabling initial production ramp in Q1 2012. Phase 1 is currently being expanded to achieve 125MW annual capacity by the end of 2014. Future expansion of Phase 1 alone will bring it to over 450MW annual capacity when complete. When warranted by demand and market conditions the addition of a 2nd phase on the 5.2 hectare site, together with productivity improvements, will increase capacity to 1 gigawatt.
Key S-Fab milestones:
- Sep 16, 2010 – Ground breaking ceremony marks construction start
- May 6, 2011 – Tool move-in begins, marking completion of facility construction
- Oct 3, 2011 – Completion of tool move-in in preparation for commercial production ramp
- Feb 2012 – TS CIGS Series receives UL certification and CEC listing, as well as IEC (TUV-SUD) certification for modules up to 140W
- Mar 2012 – First customers shipments
- May 2012 – TSMC Solar and S-Fab certified for ISO 9001:2008 (Quality management), ISO 14001 (Environmental management) and OHSAS 18001 (Health and Safety)
- Feb 2013 – 15.1% module sets world efficiency record for full-size, monolithic CIGS modules
- Apr 2013 – Modules pass blowing sand test (IEC 60068-2-68)
- Apr 2013 – TS-CIGS Series Model C1 introduced, with power classes up to 160W
- Jun 2013 – TUV confirmed world-record 15.7% efficiency, full-size, CIGS champion module, monolithically produced on commercial production line
- Nov 2013 – Independent DNV-KEMA completed comprehensive bankability review of TSMC Solar, its products and technology
- Dec 2013 – TS-CIGS Series Model C2 introduced, with power classes up to 170W
- April 2014 - Awarded MCS module certification, allowing entry into UK market
- May 2014 - 120MW capacity expansion begins with key tool arrival/installation start, to complete in Q4’14
- July 2014 - Receive certification for Ammonia corrosion test (IEC 62716)
- Nov 2014 - First 5MW large scale ground-mounted project delivery in Africa complete
- Dec 2014 - Receive certification for UL 1000V certificate
- Jan 2015 - 16.1% module sets world efficiency record for full-size, monolithic CIGS modules